Posted By: Kyle Fagala
Last month, we introduced you to IGTV, Instagram’s newest feature. A video content hub that gives users the opportunity to record and post short or long-form vertical videos, IGTV can be accessed from your Instagram app or from its own stand-alone app. The IGTV update has been big news for a number of reasons, not least of which is the way it combines all the best of Snapchat, Twitter, and video giant YouTube. It also gives users an easy way to build a channel around their brand by creating videos that are relatable, fun, and informative. Let’s recap some of the basics of IGTV before we jump into what you can do with it!
- IGTV is built for how you actually use your phone, vertical and full screen, and its intuitive design is simple and easy to use. The small TV icon at the top right of your Instagram feed home screen is where the IGTV channels live. This is where you’ll go to watch content from the people you follow, discover new videos, and see your own channel. It’s also where you’ll upload your own videos if you aren’t using the IGTV app.
- You’ll able to add a title and short description to each video before you upload it, as well as uploading your own thumbnail, or choosing a thumbnail from your video.
- You can share your IGTV videos via Direct Messages, giving you impressive added reach.
- You’ll also be able to link directly to an IGTV video from your Instagram Stories, using the “swipe up” function to drive traffic to your IGTV channel or specific videos you want to highlight.
- Video uploads will only be accepted in vertical format, and should be between 15 second and 60 minutes long.
- Viewers can follow your channel, and will be able to leave comments and likes on your videos.
- The insights currently available for your IGTV channel include: views, likes, comments, and average percentage watched.
Instagram recently hit one billion (billion!) monthly active users, making IGTV an amazing chance to get in at the ground level and build up your brand using longer videos that can more effectively engage a wider audience. Creating this kind of content doesn’t have to be complicated, however. The Instagram platform has always been low-fi, and it remains user-friendly across the board. There are a number of simple ways you can use IGTV to your brand’s benefit, including:
Video greetings and introductions
With an introductory video, you can let visitors to your channel know who you are, what your business does, and what they can expect from your IGTV or Instagram account. This gives your audience a face to go with the profile.
Product demos, tutorials, and how to’s
This is a great way to establish your credibility and authority as an expert in your field. Use IGTV to create a free resource library of useful, instructional information on the products and services you offer.
Build brand familiarity and loyalty by sharing tips or other content on a regular basis as a recurring segment on IGTV. For example, if you post a monthly blog on your website, why not do a brief breakdown of it on your channel, too? Creative, consistent content gives your audience something to look forward to and keeps them coming back, boosting your overall engagement.
When you create video content that is shared exclusively on IGTV, you tap into your subscribers ever-present FOMO, or their fear of missing out. This will give them another reason to follow your channel and click through to any content you post.
Repurpose content you love
Sometimes inspiration strikes and you create an Instagram Live Story or Facebook Live video you’re especially proud of. IGTV is an excellent way to extend the life of live videos you love past their initial 24 hours and introduce them to viewers who may not be following you elsewhere.
With nothing more than your phone and a little creativity, it’s easy to increase engagement, build loyalty, and turn new followers into clients by taking advantage of IGTV. If you’re not sure how to capitalize on this new feature to create a buzz around your brand, Neon Canvas can help! Our team is experienced in every aspect of social media, and we’re happy to help you put together a channel that is original, fun, and informative. As always, we appreciate you and your business, and look forward to helping you grow your brand using IGTV and other platforms.
Kyle Fagala, DDS, MDS
Co-Founder, Neon Canvas